Read the daily quote from Pope Francis

 

Parish History

Brief History of Holy Disciples Catholic Church

Holy Disciples is one of the newest parishes in the Archdiocese of Seattle, and the only Parish so-named outside of Rome.

Our community largely evolved from parts of the historic Catholic communities of Our Lady of Good Counsel, Eatonville (1918); All Saints, Puyallup (1890); and Our Lady Queen of Heaven, Spanaway (1893).  We were established on South Hill of Puyallup on January 14, 1996.

1995       

Archbishop Thomas J.  Murphy appointed Father Gary Southerton  pastor of Our Lady of Good Counsel Mission in Eatonville; and the temporarily named "South Hill Catholic Church" in Puyallup.

1996     

Community's first Mass at Stahl Junior High School, where Mass was celebrated until 2001;  office and meeting space was established at 150th Street and Meridian East.

Fr. Tom Suss served the parish staff in many capacities as "Visiting Priest" until 2009, in addition to his ministry at McNeil Island Prison.

Teresa Gregory becomes the first Pastoral Associate.

Archbishop Murphy, in consultation with theArchdiocesan Presbyteral Council gave approval to establish the Holy Disciples Catholic Church; the only parish he established during his time as Archbishop of Seattle.

1997      

Master Plan for the Parish developed:  
 Phase I         Build a Community Hall with Religious Education Classrooms 
                         and an Administrative Office Building.
 Phase II       Build a Church.
 Phase III      Build a School.

1999

Parish logo developed.

2000     

Master Plan Phase I amended to first build the Parish Center, Eucharistic Chapel, Parish Offices and the Graham/South Hill Food Bank.  

Sue Ford begins her tenure as Pastoral Associate.

Ground braking for the Parish Center (present main building) and Eucharistic Chapel.

2001      

Thanksgiving Day transition from Stahl Junior High School to the completed Parish Center and Eucharistic Chapel.

1st Parish Directory published with 579 registered households.

2002

Ground broken for new Parish Office building.

2003    

New Parish Office building dedicated.

Graham/South Hill Food Bank dedicated.

2nd Parish Directory published with 744 registered households

2003     

Fr. James Eblen, Professor at Seattle University, assigned as Interim  Pastor.

2004     

Fr. Don Perea assigned as Pastor.

2005

Fr. Paul Dalton assigned as Pastor

2008     

Parish unexpectedly hands beloved pastor, Fr. Paul Dalton back to God. The Fr. Dalton Memorial Garden is dedicated in his honor later in the year.

3rd Parish Directory published with 902 registered households.

Fr. Conrad U. Aquino  assigned as Pastor.

2009     

Bishop Joseph Tyson assigned as Pastor with continued duties within the         Archdiocese of Seattle.

2010      

Fr. Mathew O'Leary assigned as Pastor.

Sue Ford retires and Rosemary and Tom O'Brien-Wilson come onboard as Pastoral Associate and Pastoral Assistant.

Statues of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Joseph are placed in the Worship Space.

2011

Holy Disciples Parish adopts the Feast of Pentecost as its “Feast Day” – the day the Holy Spirit descended on the original “holy disciples” – and celebrates it in grand style. 

The walls of the Worship Space are repainted and a Crucifix, Tabernacle, Stations of the Cross, and an Icon of the Glorified Christ are installed. (The icon is written by parishioner Valeri Hirn)

The elementary Religious Education Program expands to include classes on Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.

2012 

The potential rebate from the Archdiocesan Annual Catholic Appeal reaches $70,000 as the parish works to pay down the back interest on our loan.   

Icons of Saints Kateri Tekakwitha and Maximilian Kolbe (written by parishioner Valeri Hirn) are installed in the Classrooms.

4th Parish Directory published with 1,050 registered households.

2013

“Living the Eucharist” Lenten Small Groups are formed to discuss the Sunday Readings and other aspects of our Catholic Liturgy.

Parishioners Phil and Carly Cappetto join the Staff as leaders of the High School Youth Program and parishioner Tammy Holley assumes leadership of the Junior High Program. Both groups were previously led by staff member Carmen Bryant.

2014

“Living the Eucharist” Lenten Small Groups build upon the success of the previous year.

The Graham-South Hill Food Bank doubles the size of its building.

A Scriptural Capital Campaign to tackle a $3.5 million debt is launched.

2015

 Image of the Holy Spirit (in the form of a dove), carved by parishioner Umberto Mancini, is placed above the tabernacle.

“Living the Eucharist” Lenten Small Groups enjoy a successful third year.

In the first 12 months of the Scriptural Capital Campaign a total of $978,301 in gifts is collected and put toward our debt.

2016

Lenten Small Groups discuss “Rediscover Jesus” by Matthew Kelly.

Parishioner A’Dailya Bontemps begins leading the Junior High Youth Program.

By the end of the second year of our Scriptural Capital Campaign, a total of $1,824,326 has been applied to our debt.

2017

Lenten Small Groups read “Positively Catholic” by Michael Leach.

A December party celebrates the close of the Scriptural Capital Campaign which enabled the parish to pay the Archdiocese $2,500,000 over three years, reducing our debt to below $1,000,000.

2018

Fr. Matthew O'Leary leads a Parish Pilgrimage to the Holy Land.

Lenten Small Groups discuss “A Well-Built Faith” by Joe Paprocki.

Feast of Corpus Christi is celebrated with an outdoor procession.

 

Online Giving

Online Giving

Secure and Convenient Donate now!